When patients go in for a surgical procedure, they are literally putting their lives in the hands of the surgeon and his/her team. Despite advances in tools, training and procedures, surgical errors are still unsettlingly common. It is estimated that around 100,000 deaths occur as a direct result of mistakes made during surgeries. Undergoing a surgical procedure is nerve-racking as it is. The possibility of being the victim of a surgical error makes the experience all the more frightening.
If you or someone you love has suffered injury or death as a result of a surgical mistake, you should know that you have the right to take legal action against the doctor, hospital or other medical professional involved in the surgery. Please contact us today to speak with an experienced and trusted medical malpractice attorney who can evaluate your case at no cost and discuss a course of action.
Surgical Errors: Cause and Effect
It is common knowledge that doctors, nurses, and other hospital personnel are usually overworked. While fatigue, lack of attention and hastiness can all result in surgical errors, there are other factors that lead to potentially life-threatening mistakes. Miscommunication before a surgical procedure, either due to illegible handwriting or incorrect patient information and/or during the actual surgery also commonly lead to surgical errors.
Some of the devastating effects of surgical errors include, but are not limited to:
- Wrong patient surgery occurs when a procedure is performed on the wrong patient and may lead to severe consequences for more than one victim.
- Poor surgical outcome – The desired results of a surgical procedure are not met.
- Infection often occurs as a result of improper hygiene during the procedure, foreign bodies (forceps, towels, etc.) left inside the patient or transmission of infectious disease (like hepatitis) from the medical staff to the patient.
- Internal bleeding
- Damage to the organs or nervous system can lead to health complications and possibly paralysis.
- The need for corrective surgery (or surgeries) to fix the initial surgical error.
- Disfigurement including scarring and loss of limbs.
Surgical Errors and Your Rights
Federal and state laws protect those who have suffered harm as a result of a healthcare professional’s negligence or wrongful actions. If you or your loved one has been injured or killed due to a surgical mistake, you may be eligible to recover your damages including medical bills, the cost of lifelong treatment, pain and suffering and more. Please contact us today to speak with a qualified and caring medical malpractice attorney at Injury Lawyer Omaha who can protect your legal rights and help you and your family get the compensation you deserve for your losses.
FREE Initial Consultation!
“My wife and I are extremely grateful for this firm’s assistance, guidance, and representation through a very trying ordeal…”
“Thank you for making a very difficult time in our life more manageable and with the utmost respect and integrity….”
“The attorneys we worked with as well as the staff were always making sure our needs were met…”
“The whole staff are extremely professional and genuinely concerned…”
“I cannot thank the firm enough for believing in me and for fighting for justice…”